Cavities, caries treatment by your pediatric dentist in Brooklyn is always better performed sooner rather than later. Kids’ cavity treatment by a toddler dentist in Brooklyn is safe and painless. With training in child tooth cavity treatment, a special needs pediatric dentist knows how to deliver child cavity treatment so your kids don’t feel pain or fear the dentist. The best pediatric dentist sets up your kids for a lifetime of good oral healthcare.
If your children’s dentist in Brooklyn finds signs of tooth decay in your child’s teeth, cavities/caries treatment is the next step. Child cavity treatment is very similar to cavity treatment for adults, which as you should know, needs to be done as soon as possible.
Caries, another term for cavities, must be addressed, even if it seems that child cavity treatment is a waste since they’re going to lose those baby teeth anyway. Untreated cavities can lead to serious complications. Holes in teeth deepen and eventually reach the nerve, which can be extremely painful. Tooth decay also leads to infections, which may affect nearby teeth and even get into the bloodstream.
How Tooth Decay Progresses
The Quentin Smile Dental experts in pediatric dentistry of Brooklyn advise you to limit unhealthy snacks. When bits of foods that are high in sugars and starches remain on the teeth, it leads to the formation of plaque and tartar in a process that causes tooth decay. Foods that start this process include not only sugary treats such as cakes or candy, but also cereal, bread, fruit and even milk if drunk right before bedtime.
Bacteria that’s always in the mouth converts food particles into acid. These acids form plaque, a substance that dissolves the enamel surface of teeth. This causes teeth to start to decay, a condition known as dental caries. Cavities are caries that have progressed and become a hole in the tooth.
Signs of Tooth Decay in Children
Tooth decay in children may first appear as white spots, a sign that the enamel is starting to break down. Your child may begin experiencing some sensitivity in the tooth, such as discomfort from hot or cold foods.
As decay progresses, an early cavity may be visible, appearing light brown. The color may darken as the cavity worsens, turning to a darker shade of brown or black. Children don’t always know they have a cavity, but if it isn’t discovered, it causes pain. You will need an emergency dentist for kids for child tooth cavity treatment to relieve that pain.
Cavities and Caries Treatment Options
The sooner you start child tooth cavity treatment, the better the chances of stopping the advancement of tooth decay. Child cavity treatment options depend on the severity of the decay. Treatment options include:
- Fillings. This treatment requires removing the decayed part of a tooth and replacing it with a filling material. White fillings may be used to treat small front-tooth cavities, while silver crowns protect back teeth from the grinding pressure.
- Fluoride. Professional fluoride treatments may be enough to treat the earliest stages of decay. These treatments contain more fluoride than in tap water or toothpaste.
- Root canal. When dental decay reaches the nerve, kids’ cavity treatment may include a root canal, in which the Brooklyn NYC dentist removes the diseased pulp and protects the remaining tooth with a crown.
- Extractions. Teeth that are severely decayed may have to be removed, particularly if they’re baby teeth. Baby teeth may also be extracted if they are getting ready to fall out.
Child Tooth Cavity Treatment
You may be surprised if your pediatric dentist in Brooklyn NY recommends treatment of cavities in baby teeth, also known as primary teeth. Even though these teeth eventually fall out, they are the only teeth your child has until the permanent teeth come in. Losing them too soon can interfere with chewing, speech and the alignment of permanent teeth.
The health of the baby teeth affects the health of the permanent teeth. Trying to ignore decay in baby teeth can lead to infection and damage to nearby teeth. Your child may experience sudden, severe pain and the need for a children’s emergency dentist.
Kids’ Cavity Treatment and Prevention of Dental Caries in Brooklyn
The best method of treatment for dental caries is prevention. The best dentist for kids always recommends regular dental visits for checkups and cleanings. There are several other steps to take to prevent the formation of cavities, including:
- Practice good oral hygiene, including daily brushing, flossing and rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Don’t share eating utensils with your children to avoid transferring bacteria.
- Let your pediatric dentist in Brooklyn use supplemental fluoride.
- Take your child for regular dental visits.
- Consider dental sealants.
Do you have any questions about the Cavities, Caries Treatment in Brooklyn? For more information or to schedule an appointment with pediatric dentist Igor Khabensky DDS of Family Cosmetic & Implants Dentistry of Brooklyn? Please contact our kids dental center for consultation with the kids dentist Igor Khabensky DDS.